Up at 6:30am for a brew with the new equipment (mill, kettle, chiller). If you look at the pictures, it all looks like it went swimmingly. Did it b#ll#cks.
Apart from screwing up the first hop addition with almost double the bittering hops and having to recalculate the recipe, and apart from the little one getting up and throwing up half way through the brew (thankfully not in the brew), I ended up 5 1/2 litres short from the boil. Over 25% short of the intended 20L.
A combination of collecting a little bit less from the mash+sparge than intended, a very vigorous boil from the new kettle, and underestimating the amount of water the hops would absorb contribute… ut I can still barely believe it was 5 1/2 litres short.
The 14 1/2L was stronger than anticipated, but after calculating how much I could water down to reach the planned final gravity (1 1/2L) I decided not to bother – 14 1/2L will fit in a mini-keg with a few bottle to spare.
So clearly I have some homework to do. But sod that, I have beer brewing and it’s Sunday night. Time for curry.
Very nice those Parrot Pale & IPA’s. From NZ but they use Maris Otter, which gives a subtle bread/biscuit taste. And co-incidentally, bread and biscuit flavours were the aim of today’s brew, with a Amber (Biscuit) malt, Munich (II – Dark), and Maris Otter.
509: New Equipment Crack-of-dawn Amber
Intended recipe below, recalculated after screwing up the first addition. Result was 14.5L fermentation at 1.057.
3.2kg Maris Otter
1.0kg Munich II
0.15kg Crystal 60L
27g Zeus (17.5% AA, FWH + 60 min)
15g Amarillo (8.9% AA, 15 min)
15g Centennial (10.5% AA, 15 min)
15g Chinook (14.2% AA, 15 min)
32g Amarillo (8.9% AA, 5 min)
32g Centennial (10.5% AA, 5 min)
32g Chinook (14.2% AA, 5 min)
32g Amarillo (aroma)
32g Centennial (aroma)
32g Chinook (aroma)