Grain...

Grain...

...lovely grain...

...lovely grain!

I was quite annoyed at Advance Brewing sending my order late and missing an o-ring (which I now need to order somewhere else), but after seeing all that lovely grain, all is forgiven!

I’ll need to use it quick though because it’s all precrushed, so wasting no time, last night I brewed my version of the Lagunitas IPA recipe featured on Jamil’s Can You Brew It podcast.

My modifications were:

  • Changed from 6 US gallons to 3 US gallons. A smaller batch makes resizing the recipe easier and is safer for experimentation.
  • Changed from all grain to partial mash using extra light DME.
  • Increased the OG from 1.060 to 1.076 and the IBUs by 3 points to match – I prefer a stronger alcohol IPA to get the right level of “bite”. Jamil calculated the IBUs at 46.8; the online calculators I tried gave me 37 for the same recipe. My recipe gave me 40.
  • Substituted Zeus (Columbus) for Summit and Magnum for Horizon. I had neither Summit or Horizon – Columbus was recommended as a substitute for Summit; Magnum I found as a substitute for Horizon by searching online. Of course I adjusted the hop quantities based on IBU.
  • Changed the Crystal 10L and 60L to 15L, 40L and a little 150L. The original Lagunitas recipe called for 15L and Jamil changed it to 10L so his recipe was an approximation anyway.

Strong Lagunitas IPA Clone

Boil volume: 3 US Gallons
Final volume: 3 US Gallons

Anticipated OG: 1.076 (based on 68% mash efficiency)
Anticipated FG: 1.019
Actual OG: 1.079 at 31C, giving 1.083 at 15C

Grain (all precrushed) and DME:
1kg American 2-row
197g Wheat malt
186g Munich
265g Crystal 15L
147g Crystal 40L
30g Crystal 150L
1.3kg Extra-light DME (Muntons Spraymalt)

Hops:
60m: 3.1g Zeus 16.4%, 5.7g Magnum 14.2%
30m: 14.6g Willamette 5.1%, 8.7g Centennial 9%
Flameout: 17g Cascade 7.2%
Dry hopping: 10.5g Centennial 9%, 10.5g Cascade 7.2%
Update 25th May 2009: See here for the actual dry hopping used.

All hops were leaf hops. For the 30m Centennial I actually used about 2-3g of some 9.2% leaf Centennial I had leftover before cracking open the new 9%. The 9.2% actually smelt fresher.

Yeast:
S-04, 1/2 a packet (since one pack does 6G).

Other:
1 teaspoon Irish Moss at 15m

Method – similar to Flasher.

  1. Mashed the grains in 9L of water at 70 degrees, applying heat when it dropped to 66-68. Agitated the grain frequently since I was conscious that my grain back was quite small.
  2. After 60m, poured the wort out of my main pot and heated up 7L of water to 75 degrees. While that was heating, I let the water from the grain drip into the collected wort.
  3. “Sparged” the grain in the 7L of water for 15 minutes. When done, took the grain out and poured back in the collected wort. By this time, a lot of gunk from the collected wort had fallen to the bottom – I didn’t pour that back into the main pot.
  4. Added the DME and boiled, then added the first hops when the top started clearing. Continued with the hop/Irish Moss schedule.
  5. At flameout, added the Cascade and agitated for 1m, then transferred the pot to the sink for cooling in water – also added some ice to the wort. Left the Cascade in for about 5 minutes.
  6. Whirlpool then leave for a further 5-10 minutes.
  7. Transferred to the primary by pouring, leaving behind the last inch of wort and gunk. Aerated, then pitched rehydrated yeast, then aerated again.

Once again I couldn’t get the wort temperature down – I overestimated the effect the ice I added would have. Once again, not having a cooler and having my freezer filled with hops is killing me. I need to do something about this because while the wort is still warm, effectively the hop addition time is being extended.

I pitched at around 34 degrees – way too high but it was 1:30am and I needed to go to bed. To compensate I put the bucket in the fridge to cool down. When I woke up this morning, temp was at 20 degrees and a crust was already forming on the top of the beer.

I’m really looking forward to trying this IPA – it tasted great going into the fermenter. After All Centennial IPA turning out not great – I think it’s too light on bittering and alcohol, tasting a little too sweet – I really want to make a great IPA.

As an aside, I got a lot more break gunk this time but it came quite late in the boil. It’s the first time I’ve seen break gunk appear – since it appeared late, I think I better do a bit of reading up on whether that means anything or not.

Advertisements