509: New Equipment Crack-of-dawn Amber


After a week the gravity is 1.018 / 8 brix. I hope there’s still a little to more to ferment but looking at the top, the yeast isn’t that active.

Ferm temp was highish at the beginning – pitch about 30, then dropped throughout the week from early 20s, to late 10’s, and finally yesterday to early 10’s – another indication that the yeast isn’t active much now, because the yeast would be warming the fermentation chamber.

Taste is sharp bitterness with slight citrus aroma. Flavour dominated by creamy biscuit, like a creamy baby rusk. I don’t taste distinct hoppiness but I can feel it is┬áthere blending the bitterness and creaminess. I like it and maybe should leave like this, but I still have the memories of my second Swan Lake Amber last week which was too much, so I want some extra hops in the aftertaste – also to balance out the bitterness more.

Added 30g Amarillo and 28g Centennial. The Centennial seems very genki but the Amarillo… I don’t get a great aroma from it, so I’m not sure it’s the very best condition. Hence going for 2oz between the two hops, which might be a tad excessive otherwise for a 13-14L. I’ll need to watch this over the next few days.

I’m leaving 509 out of the fermentation chamber today to raise the temp a little bit – hopefully give the yeast a final boost and allow it to do some cleanup, perhaps get down a few points. I’ll put it back in the chamber tonight.

Up at 6:30am for a brew with the new equipment (mill, kettle, chiller). If you look at the pictures, it all looks like it went swimmingly. Did it b#ll#cks.

20140518-211513-76513977.jpg

20140518-211535-76535496.jpg

20140518-211641-76601034.jpg

20140518-211924-76764135.jpg

Apart from screwing up the first hop addition with almost double the bittering hops and having to recalculate the recipe, and apart from the little one getting up and throwing up half way through the brew (thankfully not in the brew), I ended up 5 1/2 litres short from the boil. Over 25% short of the intended 20L.

Ouch.

A combination of collecting a little bit less from the mash+sparge than intended, a very vigorous boil from the new kettle, and underestimating the amount of water the hops would absorb contribute… ut I can still barely believe it was 5 1/2 litres short.

The 14 1/2L was stronger than anticipated, but after calculating how much I could water down to reach the planned final gravity (1 1/2L) I decided not to bother – 14 1/2L will fit in a mini-keg with a few bottle to spare.

So clearly I have some homework to do. But sod that, I have beer brewing and it’s Sunday night. Time for curry.

20140518-212722-77242242.jpg

20140518-212735-77255244.jpg

Very nice those Parrot Pale & IPA’s. From NZ but they use Maris Otter, which gives a subtle bread/biscuit taste. And co-incidentally, bread and biscuit flavours were the aim of today’s brew, with a Amber (Biscuit) malt, Munich (II – Dark), and Maris Otter.

509: New Equipment Crack-of-dawn Amber

Intended recipe below, recalculated after screwing up the first addition. Result was 14.5L fermentation at 1.057.

IBU 113
Alc 5.1%
OG 1.052
FG 1.013

70% efficiency
23.28L Boil
20L Fermentation

3.2kg Maris Otter
1.0kg Munich II
0.5kg Amber
0.16kg Carared
0.15kg Crystal 60L

27g Zeus (17.5% AA, FWH + 60 min)
15g Amarillo (8.9% AA, 15 min)
15g Centennial (10.5% AA, 15 min)
15g Chinook (14.2% AA, 15 min)
32g Amarillo (8.9% AA, 5 min)
32g Centennial (10.5% AA, 5 min)
32g Chinook (14.2% AA, 5 min)
32g Amarillo (aroma)
32g Centennial (aroma)
32g Chinook (aroma)